- Exhibition: 13 January - 25 February 2012
- Opening Reception/Performance + Prefix Photo 24_Big Skies Issue Launch: Friday 13 January, 8PM
- Artist Talk with Andrew Harwood: Saturday 18 February, 3PM
- Intermittent Performances by Madame Zsa Zsa throughout exhibition including:
- Friday 3 February, 5-9PM (as a part of First Fridays in the Exchange)
- Saturday 11 February, 2-5PM: canceled
- Saturday 25 February, 2-5PM
- Please call ahead to ensure your place with the Madame.
- To read some press about the show - follow the links:
- PLATFORM is also pleased to host the official Winnipeg launch of Prefix Photo 24 _ Big Skies Issue, featuring portfolios by prairie artists from Winnipeg and beyond.Please join us for the opening reception with performance / readings by Madame Zsa Zsa, the $2 Psychic, and the Prefix Photo launch : Friday 13 January from 8PM to 11PM.
- Prefix Photo 24 _ Big Skies features portfolios by: Scott Benesiinaabandan and Kerri-Lynn Reeves, Deana Bowen, Evin Collis, Willie Doherty, Kandis Friesen, Don Gill, John Haney, Meghan Krauss, Peter Lynch, Aidan McNeill, Bruce Nauman, Trevor Paglen, Danny Singer, Mungo Thomson, Diana Thorneycroft, and Time and Desire.
- Prefix Photo is an engaging magazine dedicated to contemporary photography and related arts. Characterized by innovative design and outstanding production values, Prefix Photo consists primarily of portfolio and essay sections, providing a complement of intelligent texts and breath-taking visuals. These features are accompanied by newsbriefs which provide information and opportunities for professional photographers, including new technological developments. Each issue of Prefix Photo presents the work of Canadian photographers, both emerging and established, alongside that of their international counterparts. But Prefix Photo is not restricted to images conventionally considered to be "photographic"; its mandate encompasses film, video and digital art. Whether photographic or photo-based, photocollage or photocopied, photogravure or photogram, Prefix Photo seeks to represent the breadth of practices and concepts, old, new, or as yet unimagined, which surround the transformation of light into image. Prefix Photo creates a space in which the notion of photography is open to infinite possibilities of change, development and growth — where photography is, in a sense, "prefixed." Prefix Photo has received numerous awards to date and was named Best New Magazine at the National Magazine Awards in 2002. Published twice annually by Prefix Institute of Contemporary Art in Toronto, the arrival of each issue is announced with a series of celebratory launches in major centres across Canada.
PLATFORM acknowledges the support of its membership, Board of Directors, staff, and partners in presentation. Operating and project assistance for PLATFORM programming is provided by: Manitoba Arts Council, Winnipeg Arts Council, Canada Council for the Arts, The W.H. & S.E. Loewen Foundation. Andrew Harwood's work appears courtesy of Paul Petro Contemporary Art.
For more information about this exhibition or other PLATFORM programming, please contact the Centre directly: PLATFORM | 121-100 Arthur Street [Artspace Building] | Winnipeg, Manitoba | R3B 1H3 | 204.942.8183 | www.platformgallery.org