- In partnership with Alliance Française, PLATFORM presents:
- Barcelona or die by Idrissa Guiro
- In conjunction with our current exhibition, Always Moving Forward Contemporary African Photography from the Wedge Collection(up until December 10th), PLATFORM is very excited to be working with Alliance Française in the presentation of this documentary film. Barcelona or die by Idrissa Guiro (2007), received in 2008 the Best Documentary Award from the Trophées des Arts afro-caribéen Festivaland the Prix Louis Marcorelles from Cinema du Reel Festival.
- The documentary discusses the mass exodus of young Africans to the European continent: “In a suburb of Dakar, passengers are waiting to reach Europe in fragile boats, dealing with the risk of dissappearing under the waters of the Atlantic. The local fishing is in bankrupt or in jeopardy, and the country can’t provide a future for its youth. In every family, someone dreams of going oversea”.
- The discussion will be led by Mamadou Ka, professor of political science at the University of St. Boniface.
- For a preview of the film, please follow the link.
Mamadou Ka holds a BA in Politics, LLB, MA (International Relations and Comparative Politics) and has completed his Ph.D course work in Political Science, which he teaches at the Collège Universitaire de St. Boniface in Winnipeg. He also teaches African Development issues at the Menno Simon College/The University of Winnipeg. Mamadou is also a Political Analyst on French CBC radio and television.